Sunday, July 10, 2011

Gift of Gratitude

I had a birthday this past weekend. Several months ago I was filled with dread over the realization that I was venturing into territory marked "over the hump", while approaching yet another milestone in the menagerie of anniversaries of my trips around the sun. Indeed, the only person that seemed to be more in shock over this race in time was my mother. However, when I awoke on Saturday, July 9th, I was content, even gleefull over how much I love my life and how grateful I am to feel love and that I am loved.

My day was special from start to finish. My family and friends showered me over with love. Even my father-law, Dennis, visited from back east. After a leisurely morning, our 14 year old daughter, Julia, took me to Teavana, my favorite tea shop in Santa Barbara. Co-incidentally, this was the same day Prince William & Princess Kate were in town for a match at the polo grounds. We didn't see much more than their tents, the Tiffany flags, security & the media, but that was okay because we didn't want to break the golden rule over how many princesses are allowed per square mile!

Anyway...After Julia indulged me in a custom-blend tin of my favorite Chai tea, we discovered what immediately became our latest obsession, Epic Bowl. Let's just say it is a slice of naturally sugar-free, dairy-free, Acai heaven & we can't wait to go again. Seriously good & purely nutritious stuff. Fully buzzing on organic bliss, we did a little power-shopping, then met my husband, his dad & my son at the movies. Later we enjoyed an incredible dinner experience in the gardens of the Ranch House in Ojai. Perrier Jouet, Ojai Pixie mixed green salad, sauteed scallops with roasted corn and bok choy & a warm brownie with locally made coconut ice cream. Ahhhh!

But, you know what? Gratitude tastes better than chocolate! In other words, all the local gourmet and healthy organic goodies in the world cannot satisfy the way love and thankfulness can. There aren't enough super foods or extreme workouts that can take the place of the smiles & quiet laughter of loved ones, or replace the feeling of following your life' work and passion.

Don't get me wrong here. There are few things I love in life better than an incredible dining experience and I am blown away by the generosity bestowed on my behalf. But the banquet of life bears many fruits that aren't food-related. There is a fine balance among our food, physical activity, career, relationships & souls. Many times food cravings begin when these elements are out of whack. At the same time we are counting calories and going to the gym, we need to practice self-care when it comes to these other vital components of our lives. So, let's all take a deep breath, count our blessings,  & savor all that life has to offer!

Julia digging Epic Bowl in Santa Barbara


No comments:

Post a Comment